Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Leftover- roast vegetable soup

Michelle gave me this recipe....and it is hands down the best vegetable beef soup I have ever had. Thanks Michelle!

1 pound shredded leftover pot-roast (or you could use cooked stew meat, or browned hamburger.....but I recommend the pot-roast.yummy.)
4 cups beef broth
4 cups water
2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion soup mix
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables (or fresh veggies of your choice)
1 c. ditalini, macaroni, or your favorite kind of pasta

In a large stock pot or your crock pot, combine roast, beef broth, water, onion soup mix, tomato sauce, celery, onion, frozen vegetables and pasta. Bring to a boil and then simmer until pasta is done.

I put mine in the crock pot most of the afternoon, and just threw the pasta in about 1/2 hour before I was ready for dinner!
(couple of hints for everyone) - when I buy celery, I chop it in my cuisinart immediately and store in serving size portions in the freezer. That way I always have some on hand and my kids can't freak out about seeing celery in their food, but we still get the flavor of it. Also, I never use fresh onions in anything. I use onions that I have minced and dried out of my garden and I think it still tastes fantastic!

No comments: