Sunday, April 26, 2009

Homemade ( and green) disinfectant

All-Purpose Cleaner/Disinfectant

Tea tree oil and thyme essential oils are antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral and are great for use in the home.
(I just got 4 oz. of tea tree oil off ebay for $8) I actually read that it is 5 times stronger than typical household disinfectants.
I also found when researching this oil on the internet that this would be a very valuable thing to have in your first aid kits. Seriously, read up on this stuff, it sounds quite amazing.

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons borax
* 1/4 cup lemon juice
* 2 cups hot water
* 20 drops tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) or thyme essential oils (Thymus vulgaris)

Directions



Combine the borax and lemon juice with the water in a spray bottle.

Cap and shake well to dissolve the mineral.

Add the tea tree (or thyme) oil and shake again to disperse the oil.

Use as you would any commercial all-purpose cleaner.

Also, what about making homemade wipes by using a baby wipe container and those select a size paper towels?

2 comments:

P3 said...

I make my own "Clorox Cleanups" and will post that recipe this week. They work great. You don't need the select=a=size paper towels... Just regular ones. I also love to have my kids use them when helping clean because they are very inexpensive to make and I don't feel like they waste them like the regular disinfectant wipes.

Melissa said...

Definitely post your recipe. I need to let the kids clean more often, but I need something super inexpensive because it gets so darn irritating when they manage to use an entire bottle of windex on one window. Not to mention an entire roll of paper towels to wipe up the entire bottle of windes. GRRRRRR!